Issues with registering
This section describes some common issues you might have while registering with TAP.
Can’t verify EIN
If you’re an out-of-state tax professional, TAP might not be able to verify your federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) when you try to register for your own account.
You see the message “Please verify that your SSN, name, and ZIP code are correct”
- Do you have an active Idaho tax account? If you’re new to Idaho, you can’t register with TAP until your tax information is in our system.
- Is your ZIP code correct? Your registration ZIP code must match what we have on file for your location ZIP code. This might differ from your mailing or PO Box address. Check your records to confirm you’re entering the ZIP code we have on file. You might want to try your last few ZIP codes if you think we could have an old location address for you.
- Contact us if you’re unable to proceed.
You see red fields
Fields that turn red when you try to submit changes are required fields that don’t have correct information in them.
- Complete all required fields. Required fields left blank have a red asterisk (*) to the right of the field.
- Double-check any red fields that have information in them. The system didn’t recognize what you entered. Hover over the field to see the error message.
- ZIP code: Use the five-digit ZIP code related to your physical address.
- Name: Use the legal name associated with the SSN or FEIN.
Registration code didn’t arrive
When you first sign up with TAP, the Tax Commission sends you a physical letter containing a registration code. You need this code to complete your registration and log in. You should receive this letter within 7-10 business days. If you don’t receive the letter within 10 business days, contact our E‑File Help Desk.
Issues with logging in
This section describes issues you might see when you try to log in.
You can reset your password if you forget it.
To reset your password
- On the TAP home page, click Forgot username or password? (under the Log In button).
- Enter your username and email.
- Click Submit.
- You’ll receive an email. Click the link in that email and enter the answer to the security question you chose when you originally signed up. The answer is case sensitive.
Note: Check your Junk and Spam folders if you don’t see the email. The link in the email is only valid for 10 minutes. If the link expires, repeat the steps above.
- Create your new password.
You see the message “Password attempts exceeded”
You’ll receive this message if you try to log in too many times with a username and password that don’t match your TAP account. This security measure ensures that you’re the only one accessing your account.
To unlock your TAP account, click Forgot username or password? and follow the instructions. If you can’t unlock your account, contact our E‑File Help Desk.
Registration code issues
When you first register with TAP, the Tax Commission sends you a letter with the registration code, which you need to finish the registration process. You should receive the letter within 7-10 days. Contact us if you don’t.
Authentication code issues
The Tax Commission requires using two‑factor authentication (2FA) as added security for your TAP account. We send authentication codes through an authentication app, email, or text message. You should receive the code within 1-5 minutes.
If you don’t receive the code in email:
- Check the login screen to be sure the email address on record is correct.
- Check if the email went to your Junk or Spam folder.
- If it’s been more than 5 minutes, contact us for help.
If you don’t receive the code as a text message:
- Make sure your phone plan allows for SMS (text) messaging.
- Note that some cell phone providers use security measures that slow text message delivery. If the wait for an authentication code is too long, consider using the authentication app or email instead.
- If you still haven’t received the code within 5 minutes, contact us for help.
To change the method for two-factor authentication, see the Changes and History guide.
Confirming we received your return or payment
You should see a confirmation screen after you successfully submit your tax return or payment. If you didn’t see this screen, we didn’t receive your return or payment.
- Complete all required fields. Required fields left blank have a red asterisk (*) to the right of them.
- Look for red fields. Our system didn’t recognize what you entered. Hover over the field to see the error message and correct it.
You can also check your submissions through TAP. See the Changes and History guide.