The Idaho State Tax Commission is responsible for appraising all operating property in the state and each year releases both preliminary and final operating property values.
Operating property defined
Operating property, also known as centrally assessed property, generally includes all property operated in connection with any public utility, railroad, or private railcar fleet, located wholly or partially in Idaho. For a complete definition of operating property, see Idaho Code section 63-201(16).
The following industry types are classified as operating property:
- Electric utilities
- Telecommunication services
- Water transportation and distribution
- Petroleum pipelines
- Gas transmission and distribution
- Private railcar fleets
- Non-utility electric generators
- Electric cooperatives, wind, solar, geothermal (in place of property taxes; see Idaho Code Title 63, Chapter 35 and Idaho Code 63-602JJ)