Contact Us

You have several ways to get help. 

Self-help tools

Check your refund status

Make a one-time payment from your bank account

See all payment options

Respond to an identity verification letter

Set up or access a TAP account

Apply for a tax permit (businesses)

Change your address, individuals

Change it on your next income tax return or contact us (see below).

Request copies of your own tax returns

Get a Power of Attorney form

See property-tax relief programs for homeowners

Ask about property tax bills or assessments

See what to do if you forgot to file a tax return

Learn what to do if you’re a victim of identity theft

Report suspected tax fraud

Email or call us


You can email us at You should receive a response within 5-7 business days. 

Please provide:

  • Your full name and address
  • Last four digits only of your Social Security number or EIN
  • Your permit number (some businesses)

Add our email address to your address book to ensure you’ll receive the response. Also, check the table above to see if we have a self-help tool that could assist you.

We might review emails for quality assurance, or for common themes to help us develop and improve taxpayer resources.


Customer service hours
Mountain Time: 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. 
Pacific Time: 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  • To speak to a specific Tax Commission employee, call that person directly. 
  • For payment plans and overdue accounts, see Compliance.
  • For general questions, call:

(208) 334-7660 in the Boise area

(800) 972-7660 toll free

(800) 377‑3529  Idaho Relay Service (TDD) for hearing-impaired callers

Media contact

Visit our newsroom at