The Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) is an online system for people who regularly file Idaho returns and pay on certain tax types. It’s mostly for businesses, but individuals can get a TAP account. TAP is also the system to use if you need to request a payment plan.
You can’t file income tax returns in TAP. See Free File (for many individuals) and the E-File page for options. You can make income tax payments in TAP (need a TAP account) or through another method like Quick Pay (no special account needed). See E-Pay.
Why you should use TAP
- It’s free.
- You can access TAP when and where you want, 24/7.
- Your information stays in a secure environment.
- TAP is a fast way to file and pay.
What you can do in TAP
- Income tax withholding — Form 910, Form 967 and W-2s, Form 1099 and file upload
- Sales and use taxes
- County assessor sales tax
- Travel and convention tax
- Greater Boise Auditorium District tax
- Idaho Falls Auditorium District tax
- Pocatello/Chubbuck Auditorium District tax
- Beer tax
- Wine tax
- E911 Fee
- Fuels distributor report (XML or Excel upload)
- IFTA returns
- Other IFTA-related actions — IFTA additional decal order, IFTA license application, IFTA license renewal
- Make tax payments (including scheduling payments up to 90 days in advance). This includes income tax payments.
- Get tax due-date reminders for all tax types that you can file in TAP.
- View your account history.
- Request updates to specific account information.
- Print copies of specific filed returns or letters we sent you.
This guide will help you get started with our Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) system.
Registering for a TAP account
Plan ahead when registering. The registration and approval process takes about 10-12 days to complete from beginning to end.
You must have a tax account with us before you can register for a TAP account.
- If you’re a business that wants to pay taxes through TAP, you need a permit (account) for that tax type first. See tax.idaho.gov/ibr to apply.
- If you’re new to Idaho, you must wait until we’ve received and processed your first income tax return before you register.
To start registering
- On the TAP home page, look below the Log In button. Click Sign up under New to e-Services?
- When asked if you received a registration code, leave No selected and click Next.
- In the You Are field, select one of these:
- An Individual if you’re an individual managing your own taxes
- A Sole Proprietor if you’re the sole owner of a business
- A Business owner or employee if you’re an owner or employee of a business (but not the sole owner)
- 3rd party Tax Professional if you’re a tax preparer or accountant managing your clients’ taxes
- Enter your Social Security number or federal Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Complete the other required fields.
- In the Name field, use the legal name associated with the Social Security number or federal EIN you entered.
- Enter your ZIP code. It must match what we have on file for your location ZIP code.
- Enter your email address and then confirm it.
- Click Submit. You see the confirmation screen.
- We’ll send you a letter with a registration code within 7-10 business days. See “To finish registering” below when you receive the letter.
If you don’t receive a letter within 7‑10 business days, contact us at email@example.com or call (208) 332-6632.
To finish registering
- When you receive your letter, go to the TAP home page.
- Click Sign up under New to e-Services? (under the Log In button).
- When asked if you have received a registration code, click Yes and then click Next.
- Enter the registration code exactly the way it appears in your letter. This code is case sensitive.
- In the You Are field, you must select the same option you chose the first time.
- You must enter the same federal EIN or SSN you used the first time.
- Click Next.
- Complete the required fields. Adding banking information is optional; you can add it later.
- Click Submit and click Yes. You see a confirmation screen.
- Log out of TAP.
- On the TAP home page, click Log In. Enter your username and password.
- You’ll be prompted to set up two-factor authentication (2FA), which is required. Choose to receive the code through an authentication app, as a text message, or through email.
- Click Confirm.
You now have full access to TAP. Get started with filing and paying.