This guide will help you get started with our Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) system.
Need help using TAP?
- If you see a red asterisk (*) next to a blank field, fill in that field because it’s required.
- If a field turns red, hover over it to see the error and correct it.
- See the Tech Problems with TAP guide for common issues.
- Contact us at (208) 334-7660 for help registering, filing a return, or making a payment.
- Call the E-file Help Desk at (208) 332-6632 for help with passwords, authorization codes, or uploading files.
What you can do without a TAP account
You can use TAP without having a TAP account to do these tasks:
- Make a Quick Pay Payment for yearly income taxes, occasional sales, etc. You can set the payment up to 90 days in advance of the due date.
- Request a payment plan for income tax. You’ll need any letter we’ve sent in the past two years. (You can also request a plan using a TAP account.)
- Check on your individual refund anytime at Where’s My Refund?
- Respond to a Verify My Identity letter we sent.
- Respond to an Inquiry Letter (on a tax return we’re currently processing).
- Report fraudulent activity at Submit a Fraud Referral.
To view your account history or make frequent payments, register for a TAP account (see below).
What you can do with a TAP account
With a TAP account, you can:
- File returns.
- Make payments.
- Request a payment plan for income tax. (You can also do this without having a TAP account. You’ll need any letter we’ve sent in the past two years.)
- View your account history. (See the Changes and History guide.)
Read more on our Intro to TAP page.
Registering for a TAP account
Plan ahead when registering. The registration and approval process takes about 10-12 days to complete from beginning to end.
You must have a tax account with us before you can register for a TAP account.
- If you’re a business that wants to pay taxes through TAP, you need a permit (account) for that tax type first. See tax.idaho.gov/ibr to apply.
- If you’re new to Idaho, you must wait until we’ve received and processed your first income tax return before you register.
To start registering
- On the TAP home page, look below the Log In button. Click Sign up under New to e-Services?
- When asked if you received a registration code, leave No selected and click Next.
- In the You Are field, select one of these:
- An Individual if you’re an individual managing your own taxes
- A Sole Proprietor if you’re the sole owner of a business
- A Business owner or employee if you’re an owner or employee of a business (but not the sole owner)
- 3rd party Tax Professional if you’re a tax preparer or accountant managing your clients’ taxes
- Enter your Social Security number or federal Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Complete the other required fields.
- In the Name field, use the legal name associated with the Social Security number or federal EIN you entered.
- Enter your ZIP code. It must match what we have on file for your location ZIP code.
- Enter your email address and then confirm it.
- Click Submit. You see the confirmation screen.
- We’ll send you a letter with a registration code within 7-10 business days. See “To finish registering” below when you receive the letter.
If you don’t receive a letter within 7‑10 business days, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (208) 332-6632.
To finish registering
- When you receive your letter, go to the TAP home page.
- Click Sign up under New to e-Services? (under the Log In button).
- When asked if you have received a registration code, click Yes and then click Next.
- Enter the registration code exactly the way it appears in your letter. This code is case sensitive.
- In the You Are field, you must select the same option you chose the first time.
- You must enter the same federal EIN or SSN you used the first time.
- Click Next.
- Complete the required fields. Adding banking information is optional; you can add it later.
- Click Submit and click Yes. You see a confirmation screen.
- Log out of TAP.
- On the TAP home page, click Log In. Enter your username and password.
- You’ll be prompted to set up two-factor authentication (2FA), which is required. Choose to receive the code through an authentication app, as a text message, or through email.
- Click Confirm.
You now have full access to TAP.
Filing a Return in TAP
A return is on time if you submit it by 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time (MT) on the due date. You can file up to 90 days before the due date.
Learn more about filing requirements for different tax types by reading the guides for all the tax types we work with. You can’t file an income tax return in TAP.
To file a return in TAP
- On the TAP home page, click the Summary tab.
- Find the tax type you want to file for and click Returns to the right.
- Locate the Period you want to file for and click File Now.
- Enter your return information and click Submit.
- Review your information. If everything’s correct, click OK. You should see a confirmation screen.
To print a copy of the confirmation screen, click Printable View on that screen.
- To make a payment for this return period, click Make a Payment in the lower-right corner of the confirmation screen. Then, go to step 3 in “Making a payment in TAP,” below.
If you don’t see the confirmation screen, we didn’t receive your return. Check for errors and resubmit your return. You also can check your submissions, see the Changes and History guide.
Making a Payment in TAP
A payment is on time if you submit it by 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time (MT) on the due date. You can make multiple payments in TAP, even for the same tax type and period.
To make a payment in TAP
- On the TAP home page, click the Summary tab.
- Locate the tax type you want to make a payment for and click Make a Payment to the right.
- Choose a payment source in one of these ways.
- Under Payment Channel, select a saved channel (bank account).
- Click New to enter your bank account information. Optionally, you can save this bank account as a payment channel for future use.
- Enter or check your information.
- Choose a Payment Type. The two most common ones are Return and Period. Choose Return to pay with a particular return. Choose Period to pay off a balance.
- Enter the Payment Period.
- Select a Payment Date.
- Enter or check that the Amount is correct.
- Click Submit.
- Review the information. If everything’s correct, click OK to authorize your payment.
You’ll see a confirmation screen. Click Printable View to print a copy of the confirmation. You’ll also receive an email confirmation after the software begins processing your payment.
If you don’t see the confirmation screen, we didn’t receive your payment. Check for errors and resubmit your payment. You can also check your submissions, see the Changes and History guide.