Lodging: Recordkeeping

You must keep records of all the purchases and sales that your business makes. Your records must show that you properly collected, reported, and paid or forwarded taxes to Idaho.

Records you must keep

  • Normal books of account (books of account can include information stored on computers)
  • Documents that support entries in the books of account
  • Copies of Sales Tax Resale or Exemption certificates
  • Lease agreement (and related documentation) if a room is continuously occupied for more than 30 days

Keep all records for transactions involving sales or use tax, including these items:

  • Sales (and credit granted)
  • Purchases
  • Tax returns
  • Tax payments

What your records must show

  • Gross receipts from sales and services made in Idaho, even sales that you or your customer think are exempt. If you deliver the product or service somewhere other than your place of business, you must also keep records that prove where delivery took place or the service was performed.
  • The total purchase price of anything you bought for sale, rental, lease or your own use.
  • The amount of sales tax you collected from your customer or you paid to a vendor.
  • The identity of customers claiming an exemption, the type of exemption, and what you sold them exempt.
  • All deductions you claim when filing returns.

We’ll bill you for the tax due if you don’t keep records to explain why you didn’t tax certain sales.