If You're In Bankruptcy

If you receive a tax bill and you’re involved in an ongoing bankruptcy proceeding, contact us and provide us with:

  • The name(s) on the bill and the billing letter ID number or reference number
  • The date your bankruptcy was filed
  • Your bankruptcy case number
  • The name of the person representing you in your bankruptcy (attorney)

If you haven’t yet filed all of your Idaho tax returns, you should do so. You’ll need to advise your attorney and trustee about the tax periods for which you owe, including the tax, penalty, and interest balances.

Temporary stop on collection activity

Your bankruptcy filing temporarily stops Tax Commission enforcement action to collect a debt related to tax periods that are “pre-petition” (i.e., before the bankruptcy petition was filed). You should pay in full or make payment arrangements to satisfy all debts associated with tax periods that are “post-petition” (i.e., after the bankruptcy petition was filed).


Determining whether your tax debt can be discharged is a matter to discuss with your attorney. In many cases, your tax debt, or a portion of it, may not be discharged. Contact us as soon as possible after your bankruptcy is discharged to discuss payment arrangements.