View All News

Claim your grocery credit refund, even if you don’t earn enough to file income taxes

Wednesday February 16, 2022

Idahoans who don’t make enough money to file an income tax return can get back some of the sales tax they paid on groceries – in the form of a refund. The refund is $100 for most Idaho residents, plus $100 for each of their qualifying dependents. Residents 65 or older get $120.

All full-year Idaho residents qualify for a grocery credit refund. Qualifying dependents include those born or adopted by the end of 2021, as well as resident dependents who died in 2021. The amount you qualify for is prorated to exclude any months you received federal food stamps, were in jail, or were in the United States illegally.

If Idaho doesn’t require you to file a tax return, do one of the following to claim the grocery credit refund:

  • If you’re 65 or older, use the Idaho State Tax Commission’s pdf Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund.
  • If you’re under 65, use pdf Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. Follow the instructions on page 7 of the pdf individual income tax booklet.

If Idaho requires you to file a tax return, you can claim the grocery credit on your individual income tax return. If you’re a part-time resident, you can get a prorated credit for the number of months you were in Idaho to offset any tax you owe.

Last year more than 114,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return received a refund for some of the sales tax they paid on groceries.

For more information, visit the Tax Commission’s website at Click on Get a grocery credit refund in the Quick Picks section.