Direct links to:
- Tax Pros Refund Factsheet (10-13-2016)
- Where's My Refund? - flyer for Idaho taxpayers (12-30-2016)
- Warning for Human Resources and Financial Professionals - New Scam (04-19-2017)
News for Tax Professionals
Sign up for the Tax Professionals newsletter to stay updated.
Alert! Two recent scams
One scheme involves what appears to be an update from a legitimate state CPA professional organization and references a legitimate tax preparer. The email's attachment, purporting to be a "Secured File," invites the recipient to visit a phishing site that asks for the recipient's email address and password.
Another recent scheme targets human resources and financial professionals and requests employee W-2 or other private/sensitive information. (See our new flyer, "Warning for Human Resources and Financial Professionals – New Scam," immediately above, and visit the IRS page for businesses and payroll service providers.)
- Never share your email password with anyone.
- Don't open attachments or links from suspicious sources.
- Be cautious about opening links and attachments from sources that appear legitimate.
- If you've received a suspicious email, forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Secured file scam" or "W-2 Scam" as subject.
- If you believe you've sent private individual data (including W-2 information) to an unauthorized party, contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay Informed: Idaho and IRS Resources
- Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself • Includes list of news releases warning of the latest scams.
- "Taxes. Security. Together." Tax Tip Series • Highlights useful security information for both tax professionals and the general public.
- Identity Theft Information for Tax Professionals • Guidance for your clients, both individuals and businesses, who are victims of tax-related identity theft.
- Security Summit • The IRS joins with software and tax financial product industry representatives, tax preparation firms, payroll processors, and state tax administrators to combat tax fraud.
You can also follow: