Direct links to:
- Tax Pros Refund Factsheet (10-13-2016)
- Where's My Refund? - flyer for Idaho taxpayers (12-30-2016)
- Warning for Human Resources and Financial Professionals - New Scam (04-19-2017)
News for Tax Professionals
Sign up for the Tax Professionals newsletter to stay updated.
Form W-2/SSN Data Theft
The IRS provides information for businesses and payroll service providers.
See "Warning for Human Resources and Financial Professionals - New Scam" above.
Security alert from the IRS
The Internal Revenue Service has received reports at firstname.lastname@example.org of an email scam that claims to be an update from a legitimate state CPA professional organization. Instead, it is a scam that seeks to steal password information. The phishing email uses the name of a legitimate tax preparer who may also have been victimized. The email contains a PDF attachment that claims to be a "Secured File." The attachment contains a hyperlink to view the file that the recipient is directed to open. The link directs the recipient to a phishing site that asks for the recipients email address and password.
Although the email scam has been sent to two East Coast CPA organizations, it is highly likely that the cybercriminals are using an email address list of a previous victim. Remember: do not share your email password with anyone. Never open attachments or links from suspicious sources and be cautious about opening links and attachment from sources that appear legitimate.
Stay Informed: Idaho and IRS Resources
- Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself • Includes list of news releases warning of the latest scams.
- Identity Theft Information for Tax Professionals • Guidance for your clients, both individuals and businesses, who are victims of tax-related identity theft.
- Security Summit • The IRS joins with software and tax financial product industry representatives, tax preparation firms, payroll processors, and state tax administrators to combat tax fraud.
You can also follow: