The Tax Commission might need to verify your identity. This helps safeguard your information and keeps your refund from going to criminals.
You could receive one of three letters:
- A PIN letter that asks you to enter a personal identification number (PIN) we provided to confirm you filed the tax return we received
- A quiz letter that asks questions to verify your identity
- An ID verification letter that asks you to provide copies of documents
If you received one of these letters, we can't pay your refund without a response from you. Your future refunds also will be delayed until we hear from you.
Received a PIN letter?
Follow the instructions in the letter within 20 days of receiving it.
Received a quiz letter?
Only you can take the quiz.
Follow the instructions to take the quiz within 20 days of receiving the letter.
** Your legal representative can be a legal guardian or someone you've given power of attorney to.
Received an ID verification letter asking for documents only?
Follow the instructions in the letter within 30 days of receiving it.
Please don't provide original documents; they won't be returned.
Send required documents:
- If you got a quiz letter but didn't take or pass the quiz.
- If you got the ID verification letter.
You must provide one copy from each of the four categories below:
- A copy of the letter you received.
- A copy of your Social Security card, ITIN letter, Medicare card, or Medicare benefits statement.
- A copy of a government-issued identification that has your full name.
- Idaho driver's license or Star Card (current or expired less than a year)
- Driver's license from any other state (current)
- Idaho identification card
- Military identification
- Other government-issued photo identification
- A copy of a document less than three months old that has your full name and address and that matches the name and address on your current tax return.
- Utility bill (gas, electric, cable, cell phone, etc.)
- Bank statement (page one only)
- Payroll stub
- Tax bill
- Rental agreement (signed by landlord and renter)
- College or university transcript
- Insurance policy (vehicle, homeowners, renters, health, life)
- Credit card statement (page one only)
You can upload, mail, or bring the copies to a Tax Commission office. (You can't email or fax them.)
Upload the documents
Upload documents securely online at tax.idaho.gov/respond. You don't need a TAP account.
Mail the documents
Mail your identity verification letter, along with copies of the required documents, to:
Attn: Tax Discovery Bureau
Idaho State Tax Commission
PO Box 36
Boise, ID 83722-0410
We recommend you use registered or certified mail to track your documents and verify delivery.
Bring the documents to a Tax Commission office
Bring your identity verification letter, along with copies of the required documents, to one of our offices. See Office Hours and Locations