The Tax Commission may need to verify your identity. This is to help safeguard your information and keep refunds from going to criminals.
You might receive one of three letters:
- A PIN letter that makes sure you filed the tax return we received
- A quiz letter that asks questions to verify your identity
- An ID verification letter that asks you to provide copies of documents
If you received more than one letter
If we receive more than one return using your SSN or ITIN*, we might send a letter for each one. Please complete the process as directed in each letter. If you need help, call us at (208) 332-4060 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number
Why we verify identity
Identity theft and tax refund fraud are two top cybercrimes. This verification is a safeguard to prevent criminals from using your identity to steal refunds by filing a false tax return in your name.
We can't pay your refund until you:
- Enter the PIN (if you got the PIN letter), or
- Pass the quiz (if you got the quiz letter), or
- Send the required documents to verify your identity.
If you receive the PIN letter
Within 20 days, follow the instructions in the letter to enter the PIN (number) online.
- If you verify that you filed the return, your return will continue processing.
- If you tell us you didn't file the return, we'll contact you within two business days.
Only you can take the quiz
If you get a quiz letter, only you can take the quiz. You must take the quiz within 20 days.
If you can't take the quiz, don't pass the quiz, or don't want to take it, you can upload, mail, or bring the required documents to the Tax Commission.
If you want, your legal representative** can upload, mail, or bring documents to the Tax Commission to prove your identity.
** Your legal representative can be a legal guardian or someone you've given power of attorney to.
Once we receive the required documents, we'll continue processing your return.
You must provide one copy from each of the four categories below:
- A copy of the letter that you received
- A copy of your Social Security card, ITIN letter, Medicare card, or Medicare benefits statement
- A copy of government-issued identification that has your full name — examples include:
- Idaho driver's license (current or expired less than a year)
- Driver's license from any other state (current)
- Idaho identification card
- Military identification
- Government-issued photo identification
- A copy of a document less than 3 months old that has your full name, address, and matches the name and address used on your current tax return — examples include:
- Utility bill (gas, electric, cable, cell phone, etc.)
- Bank statement
- Payroll stub
- Tax bill
- Rental agreement (signed by landlord and renter)
- College or university transcript
- Insurance policy (vehicle, homeowners, renters, health, life)
- Credit card statement
Never send original documents. We can't return them.
You can upload, mail, or bring the copies to a Tax Commission office. (You can't email or fax the documents.)
Upload the documents
- Visit Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) at tax.idaho.gov/gotoTAP
- Under "Other Services," click Respond to Inquiry
Mail the documents
Mail your identity verification letter, along with copies of the required documents, to:
Attn: Tax Discovery Bureau
Idaho State Tax Commission
PO Box 36
Boise, ID 83722-0410
We recommend you use registered or certified mail to track your documents and verify delivery.
Bring the documents to a Tax Commission office
Bring your identity verification letter, along with copies of the required documents, to one of our offices:
- Boise: 800 E Park Blvd, Plaza IV (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday)
- Coeur d'Alene: 1910 Northwest Blvd, Suite 100 (9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Thursday)
- Idaho Falls: 150 Shoup Ave, Suite 16 (9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Monday - Thursday)
- Lewiston: 1118 F St (limited hours; use buzzer outside office door for help)
- Pocatello: 611 Wilson Ave, Suite 5 (9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Thursday)
- Twin Falls: 440 Falls Ave (10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday - Thursday)
(You can put your copies in secure drop boxes at any of these locations weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time.)