Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Need an extension to file your Idaho income tax return?

BOISE, IDAHO — April 9, 2015 — If you can’t file your 2014 Idaho individual income tax return by the April 15 due date, you may be eligible to get an automatic, six-month extension if you pay enough of your total tax.

To qualify, you need to pay either an estimated 80 percent of the tax you owe for 2014 or 100 percent of your total state income taxes reported on your 2013 tax return by Wednesday, April 15. 

An automatic extension means you don’t have to file a written request. However, an extension of time to file your return isn’t an extension of time to pay your tax. With a valid extension, you can avoid a penalty for filing late, but you’ll be charged 4 percent interest annually on the remaining tax until it’s paid.

Complete the worksheet on Idaho Form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Individual Income Tax, to see if you owe additional tax beyond the payments you may have made or amounts that may have been withheld from your paychecks or unemployment checks. Form 51 is available on the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at and in the 2014 Idaho income tax packet.

To make a payment and avoid being charged a penalty, you can mail Form 51 with your check or money order, make a credit card payment through the Tax Commission website (see E-pay page), or make a payment at any Tax Commission office.

If you qualify for an extension to file, your Idaho return and any additional tax payment must be postmarked by Oct. 15.

For more information, call the Tax Commission at 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.



Posted 04-09-2015

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.