Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

You may be able to lower your property taxes; apply by April 15

BOISE, IDAHO — April 1, 2015 — April 15 is the last day to submit applications to your county assessor for a reduction in your property taxes.  

Those who qualify for Idaho’s Property Tax Reduction (Circuit Breaker) Program can get property taxes on their primary Idaho residence and up to one acre of land reduced by as much as $1,320. The state pays a portion of the homeowner’s property taxes. Last year, the state approved more than 27,000 claims for a total of $16.3 million in benefits. 

“If you think you might be eligible, don’t wait to file. We can’t accept applications after the deadline,” said Pam Waters, who oversees the Property Tax Reduction Program for the Idaho State Tax Commission. 

To qualify for property tax reduction, applicants can have no more than $29,100 in 2014 income, and they must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. They must also be in at least one of the following categories as of Jan. 1, 2015:

  • Age 65 or older
  • Blind
  • Widow(er) of any age
  • Former prisoner of war or hostage
  • Disabled (as recognized by the Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs, Railroad Retirement Board, or Federal Civil Service) 

Eligible homeowners can print an application for property tax reduction from the Tax Commission’s website or get one from their county assessor. To be considered for benefits, applicants must apply each year between Jan. 1 and April 15.

For more information, contact any county assessor’s office in Idaho, or call the Tax Commission at 334-7736 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 334-7756.


Posted 04-01-2015

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.