Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

6 tips for filing Idaho taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — March 31, 2015 — As the April 15 income tax deadline approaches, the Idaho State Tax Commission is providing some tips to make filing taxes easier:

1.  Take advantage of free tax help 

Senior citizens and low-income taxpayers of any age can find free help to prepare their income tax returns at tax preparation sites throughout Idaho. The free help is designed for taxpayers with simple federal and Idaho tax returns. Those who are submitting a state return only to get a grocery credit refund can also get help, as well as those filing a federal return only to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit.

To find the site closest to you, go to the Tax Commission’s website,, and click on the “Low income? Senior Citizen? Get free tax help!" link under the “Quick Picks” section. The sites, sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the American Association for Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation, are listed together by county.

2.  E-file your return

E-filing your return has many benefits. They include: 

  • The software does the math for you.
  • You get a confirmation e-mail. 
  • You get a faster refund than if you file by paper. It takes up to seven weeks to receive a refund when you e-file versus 10 weeks for a paper return.  
  • Using direct deposit gets the refund to you even faster.

3.  See if you qualify for free e-filing of your return

The Tax Commission has partnered with software developers and the IRS to provide selected groups of taxpayers with free electronic filing of simple state and federal returns. To access the free e-filing offerings and see if you qualify for any of them, visit the Tax Commission’s website and click on the “Free individual income tax e-file” link under the “Quick Picks” section. Last year, nearly 500,000 taxpayers qualified for free online filing, but only about 16,000 took advantage of the service.  

4.  Make sure your return is complete

  • Double check your figures to make sure there are no typos. Also, confirm your Social Security numbers (SSNs). Incorrect SSNs will delay a refund.
  • If you’re e-filing, make sure you list the correct Employer Identification Number (EIN) and employer’s state ID number when entering information from your W-2s.  Incorrect numbers will delay a refund.
  • If you’re filing by paper:
    • Attach all your W-2s and a complete copy of your federal return. 
    • Both spouses must sign if you’re filing a joint return

5.  Remember to pay use tax 

Use your income tax return to pay tax on those untaxed purchases you made last year. If you didn’t pay sales tax when you bought the merchandise, you owe a 6 percent use tax if the goods were used, given away, stored, or consumed in Idaho. For example, when shoppers buy goods on the Internet, by telephone, or from a mail-order catalog, sellers generally won’t charge sales tax if they’re not Idaho retailers. 

Check your invoices or receipts to see whether sales tax was collected. It if wasn’t, pay the use tax on line 28 of Form 40 (Idaho Individual Income Tax Return) or line 48 of Form 43 (Idaho Part-Year Resident & Nonresident Income Tax Return).

6.  If you’re due a refund, don’t delay filing your return

Many people don’t realize there’s an expiration date for claiming a refund. It’s three years from the original due date of your income tax return (April 15 following the tax year). For example, to get a refund for your 2011 tax return, you must file it by April 15, 2015.  After that date, no refund will be issued.  


Posted 03-31-2015

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.