Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

You may qualify for a grocery credit refund even if you don’t earn enough to file taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — Jan. 9, 2014 — Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2013. The tax credit, which offsets the sales tax on groceries, is $100 for Idaho residents who are not required to file an income tax return, plus $100 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.
To qualify for the refund, residents must have lived in Idaho during all of 2013. (Dependents born or adopted in 2013 and residents and dependents who were deceased in 2013 qualify for the full credit.) If the Idaho residents received federal food stamps or were in jail for part of the year, their refund will be prorated to exclude the months those conditions applied. Last year about 63,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.

Taxpayers who use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) when they file an Idaho income tax return can get a grocery credit refund if they provide legal proof of residency. They must include a copy of one of the following with their tax return.

  • Alien registration card (green card, federal immigration Form I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (federal immigration Form I-94)
  • Work permit card (federal immigration forms I-766 or I-688B)
  • Idaho Driver’s License
  • Visa, such as Exchange Visitors (J-1), International Students (F-1 or M-1), or any other visa showing legal residency in the U.S.

Residents age 65 and older and their spouses can claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Residents under the age of 65 should file their claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return.

For more information and to get copies of Form 40 or Form 24, Idahoans can visit the Tax Commission’s website at (click on “Get a grocery credit refund even if you’re not required to file an income tax return” in the “Quick Picks” section). The website also features instructions for submitting a Form 40 return only to get the grocery credit refund.

Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.

Posted 01-09-2014

Return to top of page