Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Farmers markets, events sellers reminded to collect and pay sales tax

BOISE, Idaho — March 23, 2022 — Farmers markets are gearing up for spring and summer. Before you start selling your products at any event, be sure you have the correct registration and permits to collect and pay Idaho sales tax.  

The Idaho State Tax Commission provides sales tax guidelines and instructions at  

To determine if you need a regular seller’s permit or a temporary seller’s permit, visit the Temporary Sellers Permits webpage. If you sell at an organized event, work with the event promoter to register for the event and get a temporary seller’s permit. If you have a regular seller’s permit, you don’t need to get a temporary permit for the event.

Temporary seller’s permits are valid for 90 days only. If the event lasts longer than 90 days, you’ll need to get two or more permits to cover the event period. 

An organized event is where two or more people sell or exchange products and related services. Besides farmers markets, other common events include arts and crafts shows, bazaars, swap meets, flea markets, gun shows, fairs, or organized yard sales not held at the seller's residence. 

Watch the Tax Commission videos about registering for an event and filing sales taxes after the event

For more help, call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7760 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.

Posted 03-23-2022
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.