Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Beat the rush—file your income taxes now for less stress, faster refund

BOISE, IDAHO — April 15, 2021 — With just over a month to go before the May 17 extended filing deadline, the Idaho State Tax Commission is sharing two little-known tax facts with Idahoans.  

1. Filing your income tax return in April will get you a faster refund. 

The Tax Commission expects to receive about 50,000 returns in April compared to 200,000 returns in May. That means taxpayers who file in April will get their refunds faster.

“Once we get closer to the May due date, we’ll be brimming with returns,” Tax Commissioner Janet Moyle said. 

There are three ways you can help speed up your refund:

  • E-file your state tax return.
  • File as soon as you can in April.
  • Use direct deposit to get your refund in your bank account.

2. If you owe taxes, you can file your return in April, but your payment isn’t due until May 17.    

Filing now gives you time to spread out your payments so you don’t have to pay one lump sum on May 17. 

You can make multiple payments online using the Tax Commission’s free Quick Pay service at The feature also works if you’re waiting until the due date to pay. 

If you e-file your return, use the direct debit option to pay. This free service authorizes the Tax Commission to withdraw a specific amount of money from your bank account on dates you choose. Check with your e-file provider to see if it offers direct debit.  

2020 individual income tax returns are due Monday, May 17. For more tax information, visit You also can call (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660. 


Posted 04-15-2021
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.