Tax Commission News Release
Want your property taxes reduced in 2021? See if you qualify
BOISE, IDAHO — March 4, 2021 — You might qualify for some property tax relief. Idaho’s Property Tax Reduction (PTR) program reduces property taxes on eligible homeowners’ primary Idaho residence and up to one acre of land by as much as $1,320.
To qualify, you must have been in one of the following categories by January 1, 2021:
- Age 65 or older
- Fatherless or motherless child under 18 years old
- Former prisoner of war
- Recognized as disabled by one of the following:
- The Social Security Administration
- The Railroad Retirement Board
- The Federal Civil Service
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- A public employee retirement system not covered by the above agencies. (Idaho’s PERSI is covered by Social Security.)
Additionally, the program requires that you had no more than $31,900 in total income in 2020. You also must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident and own and live in your home by April 14, 2021.
You can get an application for property tax reduction on the Tax Commission’s website at tax.idaho.gov or from your county assessor. File the application with your county assessor by Thursday, April 15, 2021.
“Your local county assessor can help you with your application,” said Pam Waters, coordinator of the PTR program for the Idaho State Tax Commission. “Due to COVID-19, you’ll need to check with the assessor’s office to see if you can get help in person or by phone.”
For more information:
- Contact any county assessor’s office in Idaho
- Call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7736 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 334-7756
- Visit the Tax Commission’s Property Tax Reduction webpage
tax pros news release general