Tax Commission News Release
Virtual Scam Jam offers tips for protecting yourself from scams and fraud
BOISE, IDAHO — Oct. 27, 2020 — Learn the tactics scammers use to steal your money at Idaho’s first-ever virtual Scam Jam. The Idaho Scam Jam Alliance will host a fraud and identity theft lunch-and-learn series October 29 and November 5, 12, and 19, from noon to 1 p.m. Mountain Time through the Zoom platform.
The virtual Scam Jam is a free educational and interactive forum where you can learn to avoid the latest scams and frauds while getting the tools you need to protect yourself and your loved ones from con artists.
Topics include six ways to spot a scam, gift-card payment scams, Medicare fraud and scams, lottery and sweepstakes scams, tax fraud, and how to be safe online.
Sign up for the series through AARP at bit.ly/3dXmHAo.
The Idaho Scam Jam Alliance is a partnership of government and nonprofit agencies. Learn more about the alliance at idscamjamalliance.org.
Scam Jam Schedule:
- Spot a Scam: 6 Signs That It’s a Scam: Panel discussion with representatives from the Boise Police Department, Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific, Idaho Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division
- Gift Cards Are for Gifts – NOT Payments: Presented by the Office of the Idaho Attorney General
- Medicare Fraud: Presented by the Idaho Department of Insurance, Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA)
- Current State of COVID-19 Medicare Scams: Presented by the Idaho Commission on Aging
- Lotto and Sweepstakes Scams: Presented by the US Postal Inspection Service
- Tax Fraud and You: Presented by the Idaho State Tax Commission
- Be Cyber-Smart: Presented by the Idaho Department of Finance
- Cognitive Changes and Susceptibility to Fraud: Presented by AARP Idaho
tax pros news release general