Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Get a grocery credit refund even if you don’t earn enough to file taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 7, 2019 — Most Idahoans who file annual tax returns know they can get a credit against their income tax bill for a portion of the sales tax they pay on groceries.  

What some might not know is that even Idahoans who don’t make enough money to file an income tax return can get back some of the sales tax they pay on groceries – in the form of a refund. 

Both the credit and the refund are $100 for most Idaho residents, plus $100 for each of their qualifying dependents. Residents 65 or older get $20 more.  

You can claim the refund if you’re 65 or older – and not required to file an income tax return – by using the Idaho State Tax Commission’s Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Anyone otherwise qualified can claim either the credit – if you make enough money to require you to file a state income tax return – or a refund if you don’t, by using Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. 

You must have lived in Idaho throughout 2018 to qualify for the refund. Qualifying dependents include those born or adopted by the end of 2018, as well as resident dependents who died in 2018. Refunds are prorated to exclude any months you received federal food stamps, were in jail, or were in the United States illegally.

Last year more than 63,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return received a refund for the sales tax they paid on groceries during 2017. 

For more information, visit the Tax Commission’s website at Click on “Get a grocery credit refund” in the “Quick Picks” section. 

You also can get help by calling the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.


Posted 02-07-2019
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.