Tax Commission News Release
Tips to get your Idaho tax refund faster
BOISE, IDAHO — Jan. 28, 2019 — As you prepare to file your 2018 Idaho income taxes, the Idaho State Tax Commission offers the following tips to help you get your refund faster.
- Don't file your return before you've received all your W-2s or other required information. You can file an amended return to add this missing information, but it can delay your refund by weeks or months.
- Review your return for accuracy before sending it. Missing or unclear information can delay your refund by months:
- Check for correct Social Security numbers
- Verify banking information if using direct deposit
- E-filers: Make sure you enter your W-2 information correctly
- Paper filers: Make sure you include your W-2s and your federal return
Find more tips at tax.idaho.gov/refundinfo.
Typical Refund Timeframes:
E-filers: Expect your refund about seven to eight weeks after the date you receive a filing acknowledgement from the state. If you’re a first-time filer, add about three more weeks while your account is entered in the Tax Commission system. Until then, any update on your refund status will report your return as “not entered in system.”
Paper filers: Expect your refund about 10-11 weeks after the Tax Commission receives your return. If you’re a first-time filer, add about three more weeks while your account is entered in the Tax Commission system. Until then, any update on your refund status will report your return as “not entered in system.”
If you get a letter asking for more information: Your refund will be delayed until the Tax Commission gets the requested information. It then will take about six more weeks to finish the process.
Visit tax.idaho.gov to check your refund status. For tax help, call (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll free at (800) 972-7660.
tax pros news release general