Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Idaho grants tax relief to victims of Hurricane Michael

BOISE, IDAHO — Oct. 15, 2018 — The Idaho State Tax Commission is extending deadlines to file and pay taxes for victims of Hurricane Michael in Florida, Georgia and elsewhere. This includes further extending the October 15 deadline for victims with an extension to file their 2017 income taxes.

Taxpayers from designated disaster areas have until February 28, 2019, to send any completed tax returns and payments due from October 7, 2018, to the extended deadline. Idaho is following the extended deadline set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  

The extension is for all Idaho tax types, including income tax, sales tax, fuels tax, and income tax withholding. The extension applies to individuals and businesses in the disaster areas, as well as to those whose tax records are located there.  

The Tax Commission is offering the relief to taxpayers in any area designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as qualifying for individual assistance. Parts of Florida and Georgia already are eligible. Taxpayers in areas added to the disaster area later – including those in other states – automatically qualify for the same deadline extension. (An up-to-date list of eligible areas is available on the disaster relief page on

Affected taxpayers should write “HURRICANE MICHAEL” in red ink at the top of their tax return to qualify for the extension. They should call the Tax Commission toll-free at (800) 972-7660 if they file electronically.  

These taxpayers also should call the toll-free number if they:

  • Receive penalties or are charged interest for filing late returns or paying taxes late.
  • Are in a payment plan or are working with the Tax Commission to resolve their tax debt.
  • Have questions.


Posted 10-15-2018
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.