Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Adjust your paycheck withholding now to avoid a tax shock!

BOISE, IDAHO — Sept. 12, 2018 — The Idaho State Tax Commission is urging you to avoid a shock when you file your next tax return by reviewing your federal Form W-4 now to ensure you’re withholding enough from your paycheck for state and federal income taxes.

With significant changes to state and federal tax laws, you could be among many taxpayers who are having too little money withheld from your paychecks to cover the taxes you’ll owe for 2018. That’s especially true if you have more than one job or both you and your spouse work. 

“There’s still time to adjust your paycheck withholding,” Tax Commission Chairman Ken Roberts said, “but waiting longer increases the chances for a tax shock.”  

Roberts said employees should contact their human resources department or tax preparer for help or take these three easy steps: 

  1. Use the withholding calculator at to estimate your federal withholding.
  2. Use the 2018 W-4 Worksheet for Idaho at to estimate your Idaho withholding.
  3. Make any needed changes to Form W-4 and give it to your employer.

Idaho doesn’t have a separate W-4 form at this time. Taxpayers should use the federal W-4 to update both their state and federal withholding allowances.

“Taxpayers who have already updated their federal withholding also should update their Idaho withholding,” Roberts said. “Using the federal allowance number for Idaho could result in too little money—or too much—being withheld to cover your state taxes.” 

For more information, visit the W-4 page at The page includes the following resources:

  • A video on filling out the 2018 W-4 Worksheet for Idaho
  • Guidance for retirement and other nonwage income
  • Examples on how the Idaho law changes affect withholding for a typical family and a single person  
  • Instructions on how to estimate the amount of tax you’ll owe for 2018


Posted 09-12-2018
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.