Tax Commission News Release
Are you eligible for property tax relief in 2018?
BOISE, IDAHO – Feb. 21, 2018 – Did you know that Idaho has a Property Tax Reduction program? The program reduces property taxes on an eligible homeowner’s primary Idaho residence and up to one acre of land by as much as $1,320. Reductions are grants from the state, and there’s no repayment.
“Many homeowners think you have to be 65 before you can apply,” said Pam Waters, coordinator of the Property Tax Reduction program for the Idaho State Tax Commission. “But that’s not the case. You may be eligible at any age if you meet certain criteria.”
To qualify, you must be in one of the following categories by Jan. 1, 2018:
- Recognized as disabled by the Social Security Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, Federal Civil Service, a public employee retirement system not covered by these agencies, or by Veterans Affairs
- Fatherless or motherless child under 18 years old
- Former prisoner of war
- Age 65 or older
The program also requires that you have no more than $30,050 in total income in 2017. You must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. And you must own and live in the home by April 14, 2018.
For more information:
- Contact any county assessor’s office in Idaho
- Call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7736 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 334-7756
- Visit the Tax Commission’s Property Tax Reduction (Circuit Breaker) webpage
tax pros news release general
- Subscribe to our News
- Follow us on Twitter @idahotax
- Media: Visit our Newsroom
- Visit our Online Learning page
- Watch our YouTube Channel - IdahoStateTax