Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Many taxpayers can get free income tax help

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 8, 2018 — Senior citizens and people with low and moderate incomes can find free help to prepare their income tax returns. The help is available at tax preparation sites throughout Idaho. To find the site closest to you, visit the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at  Click on the “Free Income Tax Help” link under the “Quick Picks” section. The sites are listed by county.  

The free tax help is meant for taxpayers with simple federal and Idaho tax returns. This includes those submitting a state return only to get a grocery credit refund and those filing a federal return only to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit. People who have complicated returns should get help from a professional preparer.  

All of the sites offer electronic filing for faster refunds. Some offer help in Spanish. The Tax Commission recommends that you check the free tax help list the day you want to visit a site as the list can change.

When visiting a site, please bring:

  • Your photo ID and Social Security card
  • Any W-2s and 1099s
  • A copy of last year’s state and federal returns
  • Other important documents needed to file a return  

To see a full list of what to bring, as well as what services the sites provide, visit the Tax Commission’s “Free Income Tax Help” webpage.  

If you don’t have internet access, find a site by calling the Idaho CareLine at 2-1-1 or (800) 926-2588. You can also call AARP’s automated system at (888) 227-7669. If you have tax questions, call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660. 

The free tax help sites are sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the AARP Foundation.


Posted 02-08-2018
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.