Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Half a million taxpayers may be able to e-file for free

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 1, 2018 — If you want to file both your federal and state income tax returns online for free, visit the Idaho State Tax Commission website at Click on the “Free individual income tax e-file” link (under the “Quick Picks” section).    

The Tax Commission’s free e-file page links to companies that offer free online filing for certain taxpayers. If you don’t use these links, you may have to pay to e-file. 

“Last year nearly 500,000 Idaho taxpayers most likely qualified to e-file for free,” said Renee Eymann, public information officer for the Tax Commission. “But only about 14,000 of them took advantage of the free-file option. A lot of people are missing out on a service that can save them some money,” she added. 

The companies listed on the website offer different levels of service. You should look carefully at each provider to see which free filing offers you qualify for. You must use the same provider to e-file both your federal and state returns.  

Electronic filing is a fast, easy way to file taxes. The program does the math for you. And it helps you get a quicker refund than if you file by paper. 

The Tax Commission has partnered with the IRS and software developers to provide the free online filing service.  

For more information, call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.                    

Note: The Tax Commission’s Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) system doesn’t offer the free income tax e-file option. TAP provides e-filing for only permit-based returns.



Posted 02-01-2018
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.