Tax Commission News Release
Tips to get your Idaho tax refund faster
BOISE, IDAHO — Jan. 30, 2018 — As you prepare to file your 2017 Idaho income taxes, follow the tips below to help you get your refund faster.
- Don't file your return before you've received all your W-2s or other required information. You can file an amended return to add this missing information, but it can delay your refund by weeks or months.
- Review your return for accuracy before sending it. Missing or unclear information can delay your refund by months:
- Check for correct Social Security numbers
- Verify banking information if using direct deposit
- E-filers: Make sure you enter your W-2 information correctly
- Paper filers: Make sure you include your W-2s and your federal return
Find more tips at tax.idaho.gov/refundinfo.
Typical Refund Timeframes:
E-filers: Expect your refund about seven to eight weeks after the date you receive a filing acknowledgement from the state.
Paper filers: Expect your refund about 10-11 weeks after the Tax Commission receives your return.
First-time filers: It takes about three weeks to enter your account into the Tax Commission’s system. Until that time, any refund update will report your return as “not entered in system.” Add those three weeks to the estimates above to get your refund timeframe.
Received a Tax Commission letter asking for more information: Your refund will be delayed until the Tax Commission gets the requested information. It will then take about six weeks to review your material and finish processing your refund.
To check your refund status, visit tax.idaho.gov. For tax help, call (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.
tax pros news release general