Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Missed last week’s income tax deadline? Here’s what to do

BOISE, IDAHO — April 24, 2017 — Even if you don’t owe income taxes, you’re still required by law to file an individual income tax return if you meet Idaho’s filing requirements. Visit the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at to see if you’re required to file.

If you still need to file:

  • File online for free through our website.
  • See if you’re entitled to a refund or tax credit even if you aren’t required to file. This could be the case if taxes were withheld from your wages or if you qualify for a grocery tax credit refund. (Learn more about the Idaho Grocery Credit on our website.)

If you need to pay:

  • Pay online through Taxpayer Access Point (TAP).
  • Pay by check. If you file a paper return, include the check with your return. If you e-filed, pay by check using the Form ID-40V, Idaho Individual Income Tax Payment Voucher
  • Estimate how much penalty and interest you owe with our online Penalty & Interest Estimator. You may be charged a penalty for filing after the due date (if you don’t qualify for an automatic extension), and you may be charged interest on any amount you owe. Filing as soon as possible will keep this penalty and interest to a minimum. 
  • Can’t pay? You may qualify for a payment plan. To qualify for extended monthly payments, you must be up-to-date on filing all other tax returns and payments and must avoid any further tax debts. Once you receive your tax bill, you can request a payment plan online through TAP. We’ll ask you to provide your financial information.

If you enter into a plan to pay your individual income tax debt in six months, we won’t file a tax lien on your property if you contact us before the lien is filed. Payment plans that extend beyond six months require a tax lien to protect the state’s interest.          

While you’re waiting to request a payment plan, you can make payments online through TAP or pay by check using the Form ID-40V payment voucher. 

For more information on filing returns and paying taxes, visit or call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.


Posted 04-24-2017
tax pros news release general

Return to top of page