Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Need an extension to file Idaho income taxes?

BOISE, IDAHO — April 8, 2013 — If you can’t file your 2012 Idaho state individual income taxes by the April 15 due date, you may be eligible to get an automatic, six-month extension, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission.

An automatic extension means you don’t have to file a written request.  However, an extension of time to file your return isn’t an extension of time to pay your tax.

To qualify for an automatic extension, you need to pay either an estimated 80 percent of the tax you owe for 2012 or 100 percent of what you paid for state income taxes the year before (on your 2011 tax return) by Monday, April 15. With a valid extension, you can avoid a penalty for late filing, but you’ll be charged 3 percent interest annually on the remaining tax until it’s paid.

Complete the worksheet on Idaho Form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Individual Income Tax, to see if you owe additional tax, beyond the payments you may have made or amounts that may have been withheld from your paychecks or unemployment checks.  Form 51 is available in the 2012 Idaho income tax packet and on the Tax Commission’s website at

To make a payment and avoid being charged a penalty, you can mail Form 51 with your check or money order, make a credit card payment through the Tax Commission website (click on “E-pay”), or make a payment at any Tax Commission office.  If you pay your taxes with a check, please be sure the funds are already in your account. The Tax Commission now uses electronic check depositing, so withdrawals are made as soon as checks are processed.

If you qualify for an extension to file, your Idaho return and any additional tax payment must be postmarked by Oct. 15.

For more information, call the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.

Posted 04-08-2013

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.