Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

You may be able to lower your property taxes; apply by April 15

BOISE, IDAHO — April 1, 2013 — April 15 is the final day to submit applications to your county assessor for Idaho’s Property Tax Reduction (Circuit Breaker) Program, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission. 
Those who apply and qualify for the program can get property taxes on their primary Idaho residence and up to one acre of land reduced by as much as $1,320.  Last year, the state approved 28,426 out of 29,699 claims submitted for a total of $15.8 million in circuit breaker benefits.

“This is a grant to help Idaho homeowners,” said Pam Waters, who oversees the Property Tax Reduction Program for the Tax Commission.  “We’d like to let more people know that it’s available to them,” she added.

To qualify, applicants for the property tax reduction program can have no more than $28,000 in 2012 income, and they must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. They must also be in at least one of the following categories as of Jan. 1, 2013:

  • Age 65 or older
  • Blind  
  • Widow(er) of any age
  • Former prisoner of war or hostage  
  • Disabled (as recognized by the Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs, Railroad Retirement Board, or Federal Civil Service)

Eligible homeowners can print an application for property tax reduction off of the Tax Commission’s website or get one from their county assessor. This program isn’t renewed automatically, so applicants must apply for this program each year between Jan.1 and April 15.

For more information, contact any county assessor’s office in Idaho or call the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7736 in the Boise area or (800) 334-7756 toll free.

Posted 04-01-2013

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.