Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Low income and seniors can get one-on-one free income tax help close to home

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 7, 2013 — Senior citizens and low-income taxpayers of any age can find free income tax return preparation sites by going to the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at The sites, some sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and others by the American Association for Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation, are listed together by county.

The free help offered at these locations throughout Idaho is designed for most low-income, elderly, and disabled taxpayers with simple federal and Idaho tax returns. Those who are submitting a state return only to get a grocery credit refund can also get help there, as well as those filing a federal return only to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Taxpayers can find the sites closest to them by going to the Tax Commission’s home page and clicking on the “Low income? Elderly? Get free tax help!” link under the “Quick Picks” section.  Most locations offer electronic filing for faster refunds, and some offer help in Spanish. The Tax Commission recommends that people check the listings online the day of their visit, because this information can change daily.

Idahoans can also file their income tax returns online themselves for free. When they click on the “Free individual income tax filing” link under “Quick Picks” on our home page, they can choose a provider that best fits their needs.

Those who don’t have Internet access can find a site by calling the Idaho CareLine at 2-1-1 or (800) 926-2588 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Time, or AARP’s automated system at (888) 227-7669. Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.

Posted 02-07-2013

Return to top of page