Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

You may qualify for a grocery credit refund even if you don’t earn enough to file taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 2, 2017 — Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2016. The tax credit, which offsets the sales tax on groceries, is $100 for most Idaho residents who aren’t required to file an income tax return, plus $100 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, residents must have lived in Idaho during all of 2016. (Dependents born or adopted in 2016 and residents and dependents who were deceased in 2016 qualify for the full credit.)

If Idaho residents received federal food stamps, were in jail, or were in the U.S. illegally for part of the year, their refund will be prorated to exclude the months those conditions applied.

Last year more than 65,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund. 

Residents age 65 and older and their spouses can claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Residents under the age of 65 should file their claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. 

For more information, Idahoans can visit the Tax Commission’s website at (click on “Get a grocery credit refund” in the “Quick Picks” section). 

Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.


Posted 02-02-2017
tax pros news release general

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.