Tax Commission News Release
Tips to get your Idaho refund faster
BOISE, IDAHO — Jan. 26, 2017 — Now that the Idaho State Tax Commission has begun processing 2016 Idaho individual income tax returns, we’re providing some tips on how taxpayers can help their income tax refund process faster.
- Don't file your return before you've received all your W-2s or other required information. You can file an amended return to add this missing information, but it can delay your refund by weeks or months.
- Review the return for accuracy before sending it. Missing or unclear information can delay the processing of your return by months:
- Check for correct Social Security numbers
- Verify banking information if using direct deposit
- E-filers: Make sure W-2 information is entered correctly
- Paper filers: Make sure you include your W-2s and your federal (IRS) return
For more tips, see our Refund Info webpage at tax.idaho.gov/refundinfo.
Typical refund timeframes:
- First-time filers: It takes about three weeks to enter your account into our system. Until that time, our refund updates will report your return as “not entered in system.” Add those three weeks to the estimates below to determine your refund timeframe.
- E-filers: Expect your refund about seven to eight weeks from the date you receive your filing acknowledgement from the state.
- Paper filers: Your refund will take about 10-11 weeks to process.
Taxpayers can get help by visiting our website at tax.idaho.gov, check their refund status by clicking on the “Refund Status” button on our site, or get other questions answered by calling the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.
tax pros news release general
- Subscribe to our News
- Follow us on Twitter @idahotax
- Media: Visit our Newsroom
- Visit our Online Learning page
- Watch our YouTube Channel - IdahoStateTax