Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Missed last week’s income tax deadline? Here’s what to do

BOISE, IDAHO — April 25, 2012 — If you missed last week’s income tax filing deadline, you still have some options, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission. It’s better to file late than not file at all.

You can:

  • Get free tax preparation by Oct. 15 if you’re low-income or a senior citizen. Call (208) 954-0751 or (208) 850-9138 for appointments in Canyon County, or (208) 850-9138 in Ada County. These sites are sponsored by the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). See these locations online.
  • File online for free. Go to the Tax Commission’s website at and then click on the Free individual income tax filing link under the “Quick Picks” section. (Each company on this webpage has its own criteria to qualify for free-filing and offers varying levels of service.)

If you missed the April 17 filing deadline because you couldn’t pay your taxes, you may qualify for a payment plan that allows you to make monthly payments. To be eligible, you must be up to date on filing all other tax returns and payments, and realize that a state tax lien will be placed on your property to protect the state’s interest.

For more information on Idaho’s payment plan, click on “Can’t pay your taxes?” at the top of the Tax Commission’s website ( 

If you owe taxes, you’ll be charged a penalty for filing after the due date, so filing as soon as possible and paying as much as you’re able will keep this penalty to a minimum. You can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.  Or you can watch “How to get your payment applied correctly,” the latest video on the Tax Commission’s You Tube channel, to be sure you get proper credit for tax payments you make.                                   

Posted 04-25-2012

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.