Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Need an extension to file Idaho income taxes?

BOISE, IDAHO — April 12, 2012 — Those who can’t file their 2011 Idaho state individual income taxes by the April 17 due date, may be eligible to get an automatic, six-month extension, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission.

To qualify, you need to pay either an estimated 80 percent of the tax you owe for 2011 or 100 percent of what you paid for state income taxes the prior year (on your 2010 tax return) by Tuesday, April 17. You can avoid a penalty for late filing, but you’ll be charged 4 percent interest annually on the remaining tax until it’s paid. Complete the worksheet on Idaho Form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Individual Income Tax.

To make a payment and avoid being charged a penalty, you can mail Form 51 with your check or money order, make a credit card payment through the Idaho State Tax Commission website at (click on “E-pay”), or make a payment at any Tax Commission office (for offices in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho Falls, Lewiston, Pocatello, and Twin Falls, drop off Form 51 with your check or money order in the drop boxes in the lobby). Form 51 is available in the 2011 Idaho income tax packet or on the Tax Commission’s website.

If you qualify for an extension to file your Idaho return, you must send the return and any additional tax payment by Oct. 15.

For more information, call the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.

Posted 04-12-2012

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.