Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Internet shoppers already owe tax, says Idaho State Tax Commission

BOISE, Idaho — March 7, 2012 — A lot has been said recently about whether Internet sales should be taxed. But many Idaho consumers who shop online may not know that under Idaho law they already owe use tax, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission.

“Use tax” is a companion to the sales tax, which is normally paid at the point of purchase. Use tax applies when someone buys items on the Internet, by phone, or through mail-order catalogs, and the seller doesn’t collect sales tax on the purchase. Unless a purchase is specifically exempt by law, it must be taxed.

“The use tax has been a part of Idaho law since 1965, when the sales tax went into effect,” said Randy Tilley, the Tax Commission’s Audit and Collections administrator. “Every state with a sales tax also has a use tax, to make sure that all sales are taxed equally and fairly.”

Tilley said it’s the Tax Commission’s job to administer current Idaho tax law as written. “The law does not exempt Internet purchases from tax,” he said, adding, “When Idaho citizens make untaxed purchases online, it creates an uneven playing field for local businesses that have to charge tax on their sales.”

There are several ways Idahoans can pay use tax on their Internet and other untaxed purchases: 

Individuals can find out more about use tax and how to pay it on the Tax Commission’s website, (click on Individuals, then Use Tax) or go directly to our Use Tax page.

Businesses with a sales tax permit can either pay use tax on their sales tax return or report their untaxed purchases on their corporate income tax return.

Posted 03-05-2012

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.