Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

This article is over 12 months old and may be out of date. Please check elsewhere on our website or contact us if you need more information.

Tax Commission News Release

Do you qualify for a grocery credit refund even if you don’t normally file a tax return?

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 1, 2012 — Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2011. The tax credit, which offsets the sales tax on groceries, is $80 for Idaho residents who aren’t required to file an income tax return and $80 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, residents must have lived in Idaho during all of 2011. If they received federal food stamps or were in jail for part of the year, their refund will be prorated to exclude the months those conditions applied. Last year about 60,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.

Taxpayers who use an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) when they file an Idaho income tax return can get a grocery credit refund if they provide legal proof of residency. They must send a copy of one of the following to the Tax Commission:

  • Alien registration card (green card = Form I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94)
  • Work permit card (Forms I-766 or Form I-688B)
  • Idaho Driver’s License
  • Visa, such as Exchange Visitors (J-1), International Students (F-1 or M-1), or any other visa showing a legal residing in the U.S.

Residents age 65 and older and their spouses can claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Residents under the age of 65 should file their claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return.

For more information and to get copies of Form 40 or Form 24, Idahoans can visit the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at (click on “Get a grocery credit refund even if you’re not required to file an income tax return” in the “Quick Picks” section).

The website features:

  • Instructions for submitting a Form 40 return only to get the grocery credit refund.
  • Volunteer tax sites where residents can get help filing for their grocery credit refund. 
  • Software companies that allow residents to file their claim online for free (click on the “Free income tax filing” link under “Quick Picks” on the home page).

Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.


Posted 02-01-2012

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.