Idaho State Tax Commission

TAP Payment Plan Requests

This guide provides information about payment plan requests in TAP.

Starting a payment plan request

  1. Sign into your TAP account.
  2. Find "Request a payment plan" in the upper right, under "I want to…."
  3. If you don't see a link, contact us.
  • Make as many payments as you can before the due date to reduce your tax debt.
  • You can make extra payments at any time to reduce your debt. This will also reduce the amount of penalty and interest added to your account.
  • Your bank routing number and account number are on the bottom left of your checks in the special text:
    • The routing number is the first group of numbers.
    • The account number is the second group of numbers.
    • The check number is the third group of numbers.
If you chose the "Save and Finish Later" option:
  1. Log into TAP. Under Alerts on the TAP home page, click the draft submission link.
  2. Click on the Payment Plan link.
  3. Under "I want to…," click Edit Submission.
  4. Continue filling out your payment plan request.

After your payment plan request is accepted

You'll get a letter from us within two weeks of submitting your request. This confirms the payment amount and the date the payment will be withdrawn each month.


Because the payments are automatic, no forced collection action is required (unless you default). Make sure there's always enough money in your account to cover your payment. If there isn't, we'll mail you a default notice requiring full payment within 10 days. If that's not paid, we'll begin collection action that could include levy of wages or seizure of assets.

Tax liens

Although you're in a payment plan, we may file a tax lien to protect the state's interest. Read more on our Payment Options: Payment Arrangements and Liens pages.

Canceling payment plans

Contact us two weeks before the date of your next payment withdrawal.

If you miss that deadline, we'll withdraw your regular payment. If that's more than the balance, we'll refund any overpayment.

If you cancel but still have a tax debt, collection activity could continue. This can include forced collection action.

Future tax refunds and debts


The Tax Commission can apply any future state or federal tax refund to reduce your debt. If there's still a balance owing, your payment plan will continue until your balance is zero. This won't take the place of your regular scheduled payment.

If you owe again

If you don't pay your taxes in full when you file your next tax return, you'll be in default of your payment plan. We'll begin forced collection action on the remaining balance. This can include levy of wages or seizure of assets.


To make sure you don't owe taxes next year, adjust your W-4 form with your employer so that you're withholding enough money. You can also make estimated payments (see form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Individual Tax).

Making changes to your payment plan or payment plan request

To change a payment plan that's "Pending"
  1. Click the Submissions tab.
  2. Click the Payment Plan link under the Submitted column.
  3. Under "I want to…," click Edit Submission.

If you want to change the length of the plan, you must delete your request and start over.

To change a payment plan that's "Processed" or "Completed"

You can request a change to your:

  • Bank account or routing number
  • Payment amount
  • Payment withdrawal date

To make a request, request a Payment Plan Change Request Form by email, or contact us if you have questions.

The Tax Commission must receive the request at least two weeks before your next scheduled withdrawal. This provides enough time for your financial institution to make the changes.


If you have questions that aren't answered in this guide, read our Payment Options guides or contact us.

Page last updated May 31, 2018. Last full review of page: May 31, 2018.

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.