Idaho State Tax Commission


Keeping records

You must keep records of all the purchases and sales made by your business. Your records must show that you properly collected, reported, and forwarded taxes to Idaho.

You must keep the following records:
  • Normal books of account (books of account can include information stored on computers)
  • Documents that support entries in the books of account
    • Bills
    • Receipts
    • Invoices
    • Cash register tapes
    • Job/work orders
    • Contracts
    • All schedules or working papers used to prepare your tax returns
  • Copies of sales tax resale or exemption certificates
Your records must show:
  • Gross receipts from sales and services made in Idaho – even sales that you or your customer may consider exempt from tax. If you deliver the product or service somewhere other than your place of business, you must also keep records that prove where delivery took place.
  • The identity of customers claiming an exemption, the type of exemption, and what was sold exempt
  • All deductions claimed in filing returns
  • The total purchase price of anything bought for sale, rental, lease, or your own use
  • The amount of sales tax collected from your customer or that you paid to a vendor

We'll bill you for the tax due if you don't keep records to explain why sales weren't taxed.

You must keep all sales and use tax records for at least four years. You may need to keep them for seven years if you don't file returns.
Keep all records for transactions involving sales or use tax, including these items:
  • Sales (and credit granted for returned items)
  • Purchases
  • Tax returns
  • Tax payments

Keep resale/exemption certificates as long as you do business with buyers, plus four years.

Page last updated November 21, 2019. Last full review of page: March 26, 2018.

This information is for general guidance only. Tax laws are complex and change regularly. We can't cover every circumstance in our guides. This guidance may not apply to your situation. Please contact us with any questions. We work to provide current and accurate information. But some information could have technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. If there's a conflict between current tax law and this information, current tax law will govern.