Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

IFTA Licensees

Canceling or Revoking a License (R400, IC §63-2470)

You can cancel your IFTA license if you no longer operate qualified motor vehicles in two or more IFTA jurisdictions, including Idaho.

To cancel your license:

  1. Complete the tax return for your last quarter of interstate activity. If you have activity during part of a quarter, you must file a return for that quarter.
  2. Mark the cancellation box on the return.
  3. Send it to the Tax Commission along with your original IFTA license and decals.

Cancel online at:

You can reapply for a new IFTA license at any time. Contact us for more information.

It's a violation to display an IFTA cab card or decal when you no longer hold an IFTA license (IC §63-2455).

Revoking a license

We can revoke your IFTA license if you:

  • Haven't engaged in business as an Idaho IFTA carrier in the last 12 months,
  • Don't pay fuel taxes on time,
  • Don't pay in full,
  • Don't file an IFTA tax return, or
  • Don't follow the IFTA rules and recordkeeping requirements.

The Tax Commission will notify you by mail of our intent to revoke your license. You'll have 30 days from the date of the letter to appeal. If your Idaho IFTA license is revoked, the Idaho Transportation Department can require you to buy temporary permits to travel in Idaho. Other jurisdictions may require you to get a temporary fuel tax trip permit for fuel taxes. Some jurisdictions may impose even stricter sanctions.

If your IFTA license is revoked and you want to operate your IFTA fleet in any jurisdiction without buying fuel tax trip permits, you must correct the problems that caused the revocation, and reapply for a new Idaho IFTA license to get valid credentials and decals. You may be required to get an IFTA license bond when you reinstate a revoked IFTA license or request a new IFTA license after an IFTA license has been revoked. For more information, contact the IFTA Collection Unit.

Return to top of page

August 28, 2017