Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Taxpayers can get extension to file or request payment plan for Idaho income taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — April 7, 2010 — If you can’t file your 2009 Idaho state income taxes by April 15, you can get an automatic, six-month extension.

To qualify, you need to pay either an estimated 80 percent of the tax you owe for 2009 or 100 percent of what you paid for state income taxes the prior year (on your 2008 tax return) by Thursday, April 15. You can avoid a penalty for late filing, but you’ll be charged 5 percent interest annually on the remaining tax until it’s paid. Complete the worksheet on Idaho Form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Income Tax.

To make a payment to avoid a penalty, you can mail Form 51 with your check or money order, make a credit card payment through the Idaho Tax Commission Web site at (click on “E-pay”), or make a payment at a Tax Commission office. Form 51 is available in the 2009 Idaho income tax packet or on the Web site.

If you qualify for an extension to file your Idaho return, you must send the return and any payment by Oct. 15.

Payment Plans — If you can’t pay your taxes by April 15, you should call the Tax Commission as soon as possible to discuss a payment plan. You should still file a return by April 15 even if you can’t afford to pay your taxes at that time; the penalties will be much lower if you file by that date. Also, paying as much as you can with your return will reduce penalties and interest.

For more information about extensions and payment plans, call the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area. You can also learn about payment plans by visiting the Tax Commission Web site (click on “What if I can’t pay my income taxes?”).

Posted 04-07-2010

Return to top of page