Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Boise woman ordered to file income tax returns

BOISE, IDAHO — May 11, 2011 — Fourth District Court Judge Cheri C. Copsey has ordered a Boise woman to file Idaho tax returns for two years in which her reported income totaled more than $100,000, according to the Idaho State Tax Commission.

Judge Copsey issued an order to compel Carmel E. Finigan to file tax returns for 2008 and 2009, or explain why she doesn’t have to. Court records show that Finigan had wage income of $50,235 and $50,089 for the two years, respectively. She has until June 13 to comply with the judge’s order. 

Court records also show that Finigan has a long history of failing to file her Idaho state income tax returns. She didn’t file returns eight years in a row, from 1998 to 2005, although she filed for 2006 and 2007, when she received refunds. The Tax Commission used W-2 information to calculate the tax due for the years in which Finigan didn’t file, and collected the tax owed through wage levies and other collection methods.

“This is an extreme example of what can happen when people ignore their tax obligations,” said Tax Commissioner David Langhorst. “We would much prefer to have people come to us voluntarily if they get behind in filing their taxes. We can help bring them current and, in some cases, forgive penalties charged for not filing returns.”

Langhorst added that anyone who is behind in filing Idaho tax returns can learn how to catch up by visiting the Tax Commission’s website at and clicking on “Forgot to File?

Those who want more information can call Taxpayer Services at 334-7660 in the Boise area or (800) 972-7660 toll free.

Posted 05-11-2011

Return to top of page