Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Taxpayers can get extension to file Idaho income taxes

BOISE, IDAHO — April 12, 2011 — If you can’t file your 2010 Idaho state income taxes by the April 18 due date, you may be eligible to get an automatic, six-month extension.

To qualify, you need to pay either an estimated 80 percent of the tax you owe for 2010 or 100 percent of what you paid for state income taxes the prior year (on your 2009 tax return) by Monday, April 18. You can avoid a penalty for late filing, but you’ll be charged 4 percent interest annually on the remaining tax until it’s paid. Complete the worksheet on Idaho Form 51, Estimated Payment of Idaho Individual Income Tax.

To make a payment to avoid a penalty, you can mail Form 51 with your check or money order, make a credit card payment through the Idaho State Tax Commission website at (click on “E-pay”), or make a payment at any Tax Commission office (for offices in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho Falls, Lewiston, Pocatello, and Twin Falls, drop off Form 51 with your check or money order in the drop boxes in the lobby). Form 51 is available in the 2010 Idaho income tax packet or on the website.

If you qualify for an extension to file your Idaho return, you must send the return and any payment by Oct. 17.

For more information, call the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.

Posted 04-12-2011

Return to top of page