Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Tax Commission News Release

Idahoans can get a grocery credit refund even if they don’t normally file a tax return

BOISE, IDAHO — March 2, 2011 — Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2010. The tax credit offsets the sales tax on groceries. The credit is $70 for Idaho residents who aren’t required to file an income tax return and $70 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, residents must have lived in Idaho during all of 2010. If they received federal food stamps or were in jail for part of the year, their refund will be prorated to exclude the months those conditions applied. Last year more than 65,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund. 

Residents age 65 and older and their spouses can claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Residents under the age of 65 should file their claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. 

For more information and to get copies of Form 40 or Form 24, Idahoans can visit the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website at (click on “Get a grocery credit refund even if you’re not required to file an income tax return” in the “Quick Picks” section).

The website features:

  • Instructions to help people who are submitting a Form 40 return only to get the grocery credit refund.
  • A list of volunteer tax sites where residents can get help filing for their grocery credit refund.
  • Software companies that allow residents to file their claim online for free (click on the “Free income tax filing” link under “Quick Picks” on the home page).

Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (800) 972-7660 toll free or 334-7660 in the Boise area.


Posted 03-02-2011

Return to top of page