Idaho State Tax Commission

Idaho State Tax Commission

Latest Tax Commission News

Tax burden for Idahoans is 9th lowest in nation, Tax Commission study shows

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb 19, 2015 — Idaho has the 9th lowest overall state and local tax burden in the country when compared to all other states and the District of Columbia. Idaho also has the lowest tax burden among western states, when measured by the proportion of income that goes to pay for taxes. That’s according to the latest tax burden study published by the Idaho State Tax Commission. (Read more)

Published 02-19-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

Do I have to file a declaration of personal property this year?

If you...

  • ...applied for the personal property exemption before 2015 (in 2013 or 2014), you don't have to file a personal property declaration in 2015, provided you don't own more than $100,000 in personal property within any one county.
  • ...receive a declaration form from a county, you should contact the county to ensure that you've met the requirements for the exemption.
  • ...have more than $100,000 in personal property in any county, you must file a declaration in that county. When determining whether you have more than $100,000 in value, don't include any items purchased on or after January 1, 2013, if these items cost no more than $3,000 each.
  • ...received the personal property exemption in 2014, didn't file a declaration in 2015 and receive an assessment notice in 2015, you may appeal the assessed value if you believe it doesn't reflect the market value of your personal property, or if you don't own more than $100,000 in taxable personal property.

Disclaimer: If you own a combination of ordinary personal property and transient or part-year taxable personal property (i.e., newly acquired items more than $3,000 per item), you must file an annual declaration if the total value of all these types of personal property exceeds $100,000. If you're unsure, you should file the declarations or call your county assessor.

Published 02-18-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

Track your tax refund online

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 18, 2015 — If you want to know the status of your Idaho income tax refund, go to the Idaho State Tax Commission website at, and click on the "Where's my refund?" link on the home page. (Read more)

Published 02-18-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

Correction to Form 39R (Supplemental Schedule for Residents) instructions

The instructions for Form 39R, line 8 (Retirement benefits deduction for qualified retirement benefits), omitted a sentence related to one's age qualifications.

In the 2014 Idaho Individual Income Tax instructions packet, at the top of page 22, the following sentence should appear below Part One - Age, Disability, and Marital/Filing Status:

You must be age 65 or older OR be classified as disabled and be age 62 or older.

ADDENDUM: To clarify, our instructions are missing this line, which should have been included.

2nd ADDENDUM: Note this applies to Form 39NR as well. See page 31 and reference line 22 on the form.

Published 02-13-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

Low-income and senior citizens can get one-on-one free income tax help

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 12, 2015 — Senior citizens and low-income taxpayers of any age can find free help to prepare their income tax returns at tax preparation sites throughout Idaho. Taxpayers can find the sites closest to them by going to the Idaho State Tax Commission’s website,, and clicking on the “Low income? Senior citizen? Get free tax help!” link under the “Quick Picks” section. The sites, sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the AARP Foundation, are listed together by county. (Read more)

Published 02-12-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

Idaho Tax Commission guards against reported tax fraud

BOISE, IDAHO — Feb. 5, 2015 — The Idaho State Tax Commission is taking extra precautions against tax fraudsters, based on the experiences of Utah and other states in dealing with fraudulent income tax returns filed so far this tax season. (Read more)

Published 02-05-2015 | Permanent link to this news item

See prior 6 news items

Return to top of page